What is couples therapy?
Couples therapy is a type of psychotherapy in which a therapist helps two people involved in aromantic relationship gain insight into their relationship, resolve conflict and improve relationship satisfaction. This process involves many therapeutic techniques, customized to the couple’s needs and preferences by the BeWELL therapist.
How do I know if I would benefit from couples therapy?
To put it simply, if you feel you would like a more intimate closeness to your partner, then you are a good contender for couples therapy. For another perspective, if you find that trust has been broken, disagreements become more frequent, communication is poor, or you have external situations that are impacting your relationship in a big way (think work, life happenings, etc.) –
couples therapy is a good step for you both. Couples therapy provides a safe and supportive place for you two to connect, oftentimes allowing couples to share more deeply with one another and grow together in a meaningful way.
What are common couples therapy situations? How could BeWELL help?
Couples therapy can address many situations, but these are the general elements from our BeWELL experience. Couples therapy may:
- Focus on overcoming a specific problem (i.e. sexual difficulties, addiction, jealousy, conflicts about child rearing or blended families)
- Emphasize the importance of communication and respect between the couple to proactively prevent problems
- Offer change-oriented interventions early on to set healthy patterns for success
What can I expect at couples therapy?
- First, both of you will have an intake with therapist
- Then, the therapist will have a session with each of you separately so that you may share your reason for being there
- In the following sessions, you can expect to be heard by both your therapist and partner
- Outside of sessions, you can expect suggestions on how to put what you’ve learned in the room in practice with your partner
Who is couples therapy for?
Couples therapy is for you and your partner – whether you are dating or married, straight or gay, young or old, couples therapy is inclusive.
What types of therapy do BeWELL therapists employ in couples therapy?
We are a team of psychodynamic therapists (a fancy way of saying that we help you look at the underneath). We partner with you and your partner to get to the bottom of your needs.
How do I know when I’m making progress with therapy? What are the benefits?
Successful BeWELL clients start to get the things in their life that they want. With progress, you’ll start to feel more connected to the world. Therapy provides you with a place where you can talk about anything without judgment. You’ll feel closer to your partner, find improved communication skills, and rebuild your connection with one another. If you feel like couples counseling is right for you and your partner, get started today at our therapy practice in Midtown Manhattan.
Our BeWELL therapists are well learned in a variety of fields and are here to help you become your best self. Whether you are struggling with issues related to Anxiety, Depression, Sexual Orientation, Race and Identity, school, or relationships, BeWELL therapists welcome you with an open ear.